March 15, 1964
First Organizational Meeting is held
March 22, 1964
The second Organizational Meeting is held
Other interesting facts about the history of the Vernon Township Ambulance Squad:
- John Seckler donated land in Highland Lakes to build an ambulance building.
- In the year 1963, seven men founded the Vernon Township Ambulance Squad Inc #1 and formed the charter.
Those men were:
- Parker Adelberg
- Frank Altamura
- Kenneth Cleveland
- John Leeds
- Howard McGuire
- Jack Reeth
- Dalton Shimko
- When the VTAS was started, only the Highland Lakes area was served. A few months later, they found they needed to cover the rest of the Township.
- In the old days you sat by the phone to get a call. This was dedication to our community.
- The requirement was First Aid, childbirth, C.P.R., defensive driving, and extraction.
- As time went on, the need for a building in the Valley became evident. Robert Baldwin Sr. donated the land on Rt. 94, behind the Dairy Queen.
- Forty years later, “The Squad” stands strong and proud with fully qualified E.M.T. to serve the community 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.